Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Full Circle


WOW!  That was one of the absolute best season finales ever.  While some things I had guessed, and some things I had hoped, did happen, I was surprised from practically the first moment until the last.  I found it immensely satisfying that so many loose ends were neatly tied, and still we got a wonderful glimpse of what will come in the next season.  (Metaphorically at least.)

The official chat asked, "Who benefits the most from magic coming to Storybrooke?"  That is an interesting question.  It's hard to say for certain, because we don't know what the Purple Smoke Curse will do.  I think Regina will benefit from the return of magic, for sure, but she may not realize the damage she's caused herself by manipulating others.  She was happy at the return of magic, but she may not be thinking about others having magic, and what they will do to her.  Rumpelstiltskin will benefit, as he is the most powerful character of all, but if Emma is now aware of who she is, she may prove to be a very powerful person, and perhaps even more than any of them can fathom.

I was so happy to see Graham again, even if just for a moment.  When he drew his bow, I knew it was him and what he was doing, even before we saw his face.  I do hope we get to see more of him in future episodes, even if only in the past.

I think the one thing that made a bit less sense to me was at how quickly Emma realized the poisoned apple turnover was magic.  But, given time constraints, I can see why.  I probably shouldn't have been, but I was surprised at what happened when Emma picked up the book.  After so much disbelief, she believed in an instant.  I loved the look on her face when she heard Regina come into the hospital room.  Pure unadulterated hatred.  For a second, I wondered (not reallllly) if she was going to just kill Regina right then and there.  Brilliant.  I was surprised at how easily Regina admitted the truth of what she had done and who they all were.  I was surprised at a lot of things in this episode.

It had been so long since I'd seen "Sleeping Beauty" that I'd forgotten Maleficent was a dragon.  Surprise!  I find it interesting how James was so brave and jumped on the dragon, basically got the job done without hesitation, and how Emma, with a little hesitation, jumped in and did what she needed to do.  She is her father's daughter.  I wonder how Rumpelstiltskin got James' sword.  Last we saw of it was when ... wait.  At Snow and James' wedding, he threw the sword at Regina, and it went with her when she transported back to her castle (it flew past her).  Then when the curse was coming, he was fighting the Queen's guards and he had a sword.  I know this is a technicality, but was this a different sword, and how did he get it back if not?  Hmm...  Is it silly to think the mirrored tree wall was a cool touch?  Rumpelstiltskin told James, "I'm a fan of true love, and more importantly, what it creates."  I still don't know if Rumpelstiltskin is a good guy or bad guy.  What he does tends to lend itself to good, but he creates bad as well. 

I was sad to see August completely transform into wood again, and I hope he can return to human form.  I liked him a lot and hope it isn't the last we see of Pinocchio.  I loved Emma's line, " I just talked to the Evil Queen and Rumpelstiltskin about a quest to save the kingdom."  Gotta have a sense of humor.

I knew from the cast list that Jefferson would be back in this episode, but his part in the unraveling was totally unexpected.  He knew the code to the basement door, so did he work at the hospital?  How would he have known about Belle being down in the basement?  I just thought of something.  Was it Jefferson who switched the DNA and aquired the heart for Regina?  So many questions.  The "One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest" nod, while confusing as to why, is a fun touch.  And we see where Sidney is being locked up.  Poor Sidney, such a lost soul.  When Belle walked into Mr. Gold's shop, and he saw her and squeezed her arm to be sure she was real, that was a sweet touch. 

I knew that Emma would save Henry, whether it be from a sacrifice or a mother's kiss to her child, and I'm happy they didn't actually kill him off.  I hoped both curses would be broken at the same time, but wasn't sure they would go that far.  I loved when the Blue Fairy/Mother Superior told Regina, "If I were you, Your Majesty, I'd find a place to hide."  Regina has hurt and used so many people, everyone will be after her now.  

When Charming finds Snow in the coffin, we find ourselves right back where we started.  We've gone full circle, and I find that oddly satisfying and kind of poetic.  Even at the end when James came back to find Snow in Storybrooke, it was again their anthem, "You found me." And, "I will always find you."  Aww.  Sweet.  And once again the clock ticks 8:15PM.  And so it ends, right where it started.

What happens next?  What does the Purple Smoke mean?  Is Henry right, that it means something bad is coming?  When it lifts, will they be in Storybrooke, or Fairy Tale, or some new land?  Will Emma now have powers?  I am so excited to find out once the new season starts.  Can we survive the summer without our beloved "Once Upon A Time?"


So that is my final  posting for the first season, and I'm not sure what will happen to the blog over the summer.  I will try to write a note here and there, post when I find some new information or interviews, but I don't want to post just for the sake of posting.  So, I'll see you all soon, and I hope you have a wonderful summer.
Hugs to all!  And thanks for visiting me here.
--Cooky

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments. What do you think will happen next in the worlds of Storybrooke and Fairy Tale?